Even if SHTF does not happen this year, you NEED to make sure you have a vegetable garden! I have heard rumors of skyrocketing food prices this year! So get your garden started. Here are a few tips.1) Learn how to, and use, composts.
2) Make your garden as big as you can sustain. Make sure you can water it, or have an alternate way to water.
3) Layout your garden on paper. Determine what types of plants will grow better in shade vs sunlight.
4) Have an alternate way to cultivate. If you don’t have a cultivator, get hoes, hand weed pullers, shovels,…etc. If it runs on gas, don’t depend on it.
5) Fence and/or protect your garden area.
6) Grow only the types of food that you and your family will eat.
7) Be ready to can and or store your food. If you can’t keep it good, no sense in growing it.
8) If you have room for a garden, you have room for an herb garden. Take one of your flower beds and make it an herb garden. Grow food taste enhancers (ie..basil), and medicinal herbs. Get on the net and learn more!
9) Grow roses in your flower beds. Rose Hips are edible!
10) Tell no one what you are doing. Op Sec is key to not having thievery.
11) If you don’t have room for a large garden, then learn micro gardening, and bucket gardening. Grow in buckets the plants that produce year round. Take them inside in the winter.